Re: bootable failed sw raid 1 with F9

On Sun, 2008-06-15 at 11:28 -0700, Brian Tillman wrote:

> On Jun 15, 2008, at 10:51 AM, Frank Murphy wrote:
>
> > On Sun, 2008-06-15 at 19:43 +0200, Sander Hoentjen wrote:
> >
> > > Hi list,
> > >

> > > For the first time in my life i tried to install Fedora with sw
> > > raid.
> > >
> > > See below what went wrong.
> > >

> > > Here is what I did:
> > >
> > > Start with 2 empty 500GB sata disks.
> > >
> > > Make sure nvraid is turned off in my BIOS.
> > >
> > > Start an F9 install, creating 2 sw RAID partitions: md0 and md1.
> > >
> > > md0 is 100MB and has an ext3 /boot.
> > >

> > This could be the blind leading the blind,
> >
> > but just raided my centos5.
> >
> > and was advised not to raid the /boot.
> >
> > as it can get confused as to waht to boot from.
> >
> > If you need a backup boot just rsync it to the second drive as
> >
> > /boot1 (or similar)
> >

> > Frank
> >

> Although you haven't told us "what went wrong" (IE errors, when in the
> boot process your system fails ect).

Not sure if you are referring to me or Brian, but I did try to tell when
the errors did occur:
<quote>
It starts ok, i even get rhgb for a second and then I see:
"fsck.ext3: Invalid argument while trying to open /dev/md0"
</quote>

> I would highly recommend using raid on your /boot partition, this will
> enable you to boot should you loose a disk

This is exactly why i did it like that.

> I would imagine that you only wrote to the MBR for one of your disks,
> and your bios is attempting to boot from the other. If this is the
> case your bios will report "no operating system installed" or
> something to that effect.

Again not sure if your reply is to me, but from my email you can read
this is not the case for me.

Regards,
Sander