Re: f9 grub kernel arguments and kickstart questions

On Fri, 2008-06-13 at 21:54 -0700, Skunk Worx wrote:
> I see that my f9 installs have a grub kernel argument
> 'root=UUID={hex}'
>
> Could someone tell me a little about this? I've used things like
> root=/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 for seems like ages.

It's a unique ID for each partition.  The system can tell one partition
apart from another, no matter what the volume label, or physical
location (e.g. /dev/hda).  Meaning that you can always refer to a
partition by it's UUID, and get the right one, no matter where it's
connected.

> Does this impact things like disk cloning or jumbling packs between
> machines?

Yes.  Depending on your needs, it makes life easier, or more difficult.

If you want to move a drive about, and not have it clash with other
drives using the same volume labels (e.g. having fights with two drives
both labelled as /home or both as LogVol00), then UUID is a great
benefit.

On the other hand, if you want to take /home from one box and re-use it
as /home in another box, you'll need to rewrite the fstab file to either
use labels, or change the UUID from the old to the new.

I can't see it being a problem if you're cloning a drive.  An exact copy
of one drive should be an exact copy.  So a clone should work as a drop
in replacement.

Though if you're cloning drives to turn a group of drives into an array,
something tells me that that's going about things in the wrong way.

> If so, is there a way to specify the older method in a kickstart file?

You can refer to them just the same as you did beforehand (device names,
volume labels, or volume groups).

> Also I know I can 'append' things in kickstart like "vga=791
> acpi=force reboot=b', but can I remove the 'rhgb quiet'?

"rhgb" is an *optional* graphical boot progress display.  I found
booting quicker without the additional delay caused when this starts up.
And others have found they've had less graphic card driver problems
without it, too.

"quiet" is an *option* to hide some of the messages printed when the
system starts to boot.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.25.6-55.fc9.i686