F9 - Weird GTK behavior

When I go to save, save-as or even open documents with applications that
use the GTK file picker dialog the application crashes.  By changing the
option in OpenOffice.org (Tools->Options->General "Use OpenOffice.org
dialogs") I was able to resolve the problem for OpenOffice.  However,
gedit and others are still failing.

I've blown away .gnome* and all of the files in /tmp and changed SELinux
to permissive with no success.

I'm thinking that this was caused by bring in my entire home directory
to a fresh install of Fedora-9.  This does not occur with other users,
which makes me think that it is somehow being caused by bringing in all
of the hidden files.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Clifford