Packagekit-Gnome

Hi!

Couple words about Packagekit-Gnome...

First of all, congratulations, packagekit-gnome is one of the most
useful package managers I've seen included with Fedora releases. It's
easy to use and fast. It is not buggy and it can be pretty reliable too.

But to make it even more better I have couple suggestions to make.

1. I don't get what point is to have old versions of the package getting
listed. You cannot install those older packages since it will instead
install newest version of that package. It would be much much more
useful to have additional tab listing older packages like in Synaptic.

2. I absolutely hate that I cannot install multiple packages at the same
time. I have to install them one by one with packagekit-gnome. Adding
Synaptic alike functionality with small checkboxes next to package icon
(or making that icon a checkbox) on the list would be welcomed with warm
hearts.

3. Package-groups are missing. I installed Fedora9 from KDE-Live cd, but
I realised that I wanted Gnome too. I took look into packagekit-gnome
and there where no selectable pakage groups. In the end I used yum
groupinstall gnome-desktop enviroment to install it. It would be great
to have option of installing packagegroups with packagekit-gnome.

4. KDE frontend. I've got the idea that making KDE-QT based ui would be
much easier now. So if possible can we see packagekit-kde in future?
Espesially now would be great time since QT4 has been out sometime and
KDE4 is making good advancements towards future.

5. I'd love to see custom filter elements or package "Virtual Shelves"
which can be saved to hdd. This is for listing for example all packages
which are not from repositories but from websites providing additional
software like Transgaming, Opera and Skype. Pluging for popular desktop
search software such as beagle as additional search functionality might
be nice too for searching software from these "virtual shelves".
"virtual shelves" are self aware about information of the packages which
belong to them. Finding broken or missing packages would become a lot
more easier since "virtual shelve" knows itself when ever it has all
the "books" ready for use or when ever somebody has "stolen" "book" from
it instead of "borrowing" it. This is pretty much same as extending
consept of packagegroups with fancy additional stuff. :P

I think that there must be already somebody who has introduced these in
here but since I wasn't sure and google didn't find anything interesting
I made this post.

Thanks for reading.

--
Antti Aspinen <antti.aspinen@xxxxxxxx>