Re: Slightly OT: Verify certificate?

Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
On Tue, 2008-06-03 at 19:12 +0100, Anne Wilson wrote:
While reading my mail I have just received a pop-up asking me to verify that the certificate identified as blah blah has the fingerprint more-blahs. Just how do you do that?

I don't think I've ever seen that. What mail client was it?

poc

sounds of msos bait mail.

anything in email that you are leery of, start konqueror, follow your kmail
path to wherever / whatever and open 'inbox' or what ever name with kwrite.

have a look at email as a file, <ctrl+f> 'html', you may find a lot. there
are several other ways of triggering mail reader to do 'bells and whistles'.

any mail you have 'doubt', under konq, right click and select 'hexedit' or
'other -> khexedit'.

if you are pre-filtering email, set it to convert html and remove java and
other tricks.

never open email you are unsure of. i believe only 'safe' email reader is
tried and proven *mutt*.

go into email reader configs, disable all 'bells and whistles', html, java,
what ever.

always remember, local filtering 'known' email leaves 'the unknown'
in 'inbox'. approach with caution.  ;0)

set filters for what you know and want. if you did not filter it,
you do not know what it is.

before linux, when i was not under unix, as in, oos, aka, msosbs,
all my 'family, friends, clients, subscribed, whatever', went thru a
path to a 'box'. all else went to 'junk'.

if some asked offline, how to send me an email, i would give them a
'subject' to use. then, before making mail run, i added 'newbox',
wrote first filter to 'subject' -> 'newbox'. when email arrived, i
read headers, edited filter, good to go.

i have no, and read no 'inbox' mail.  :o)

--

yes. i am running fedora 8, using mozilla thunderbird. and it feels good.  ;o)

tc,hago.

.