Re: Fedora 6 directly to Fedora 9 upgrade path?

vincenzo romero wrote:
I just bit the bullet ....

I was about to tell you that a full reinstall has some advantages, but you probably don't care by now.

Just for completeness:
- you can have encrypted filesystems, great on a laptop, may be
  useful elsewhere depending on your environment.
- You can use ext4 filesystems
- upgrade always leaves some crud behind, a jump this large is
  likely to leave more. Just tidyness issue and size of backup
  concern.

Glad you're happy with the result.

1.  upgrade was totally smooth - i did not do yum upgrade ... I just
burnt the ISO DVD; and then booted off CD and chose, UPGRADE current
system ...

2.  it took a long time, but it went smooth ...

3.  however, I further yum upgraded (AFTER the initial upgrade) ....
my kernel, and installed the source (developer/headers) and upgraded
.... somewhere AFTER upgrading to the latest kernel - I rebooted

4.  boot FAILED and was stuck at GRUB in the upper left-hand side ...

5.  booted off rescue cd and did a
chroot /mnt/sysimage
grub-install /dev/sda recheck

6.  I looked at the /boot/grub/ config files .. and for some reason
peaked on the device.map .. and saw that it was changed - the current
one looked like this:

(fd0)	/dev/fd0
(hd0)	/dev/sda

7.  I changed it back to only this: