Re: Fedora 6 directly to Fedora 9 upgrade path?

vincenzo romero wrote:
Hello all,

Wondering if anyone has successfully upgraded directly from Fedora6 to
Fedora9 .. if that is even supported at all?

Yes, I have successfully upgraded from FC6 to F9. I even changed from i686 to x86_64 in the process. Is it supported? Probably not, but many of the possible upgrade paths are not "supported".

If yes, any pointers will be greatly appreciated and/or links to steps.

I don't think I documented my steps very well. I've been doing various upgrades of RH stuff since 3.0.3 on various machines. Many of them were done the "hard" way. My definition of the hard way:

READ THE RELEASE NOTES for every release between where you are, and what you want to install.

	Try updating from a new release DVD.  When it fails:

Install the new redhat-release RPM (or in this case, the fedora-release RPM).
	Try:   yum upgrade

	When it fails, do a yum check-update

From the list of files, start a piecemeal upgrade process by updating certain packages using yum. like the kernel, and glibc. Sometimes its necessary to disable your 3rd party repositories until you get fedora itself updated. Other times you can update as you go.

After they get installed, start doing "yum updates" of every installed package. I usually do this a few at a time and deal with the dependencies as necessary. This usually takes me a few days to get through the entire alphabet of packages. It takes a few more weeks of "find something that doesn't work right, fix it". I usually end up asking myself: "Do I really need this package" quite a few times. I usually end up reading the RELEASE-NOTES a few times during the process to try and find out why certain RPMs are troublesome.

If not, I'm fine too and will just reinstall my workstation ... (my
files are in network anyway....)

Many people swear by the "install the new release over the old release" method. Others backup /etc and /home, reformat, install anew, and restore certain configurations from the backups.

thanks in advance.

Good luck!

--
Kevin J. Cummings