Re: Problem Installing VMware Tools in Fedora-9

On Fri, 2008-05-30 at 13:30 -0700, Doyle Rhynard wrote:
> Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> > On Thu, 2008-05-29 at 16:11 -0700, Doyle Rhynard wrote:
> >
> >> I am having a problem installing VMware Tools in a Fedora-9 VM that I
> >> created using the latest version of Workstation-6. I keep getting the
> >> error message: "The directory of kernel headers (@@VMWARE@@ UTS RELEASE)
> >> does not match your running kernel version (2.6.25-14.fc9.x86_64)" when
> >> it tries to patch the kernel. I have installed several previous version
> >> of Fedora on VMware and never encountered a problem like this.
> >>
> >> I checked that
> >> fedora-9-x86_64-DVD/Packages/kernel-headers-2.6.25-14.fc9.x86_64rpm file
> >> using "rpm -qpl" was what was installed at "/usr/include". I even made a
> >> link under "/usr/src/linux/include" to match the directory structure
> >> that VMware Tools was expecting, but got the same result.
> >>
> >> I have seen several messages asking for assistance with Fedora-9
> >> installed with VMware, so it would appear that others have been able to
> >> do it successfully. It is quite possible that I have made some
> >> unintentional mistake somewhere that I am unable to find.
> >>
> >> Unfortunately, VMware does not support Fedora because it considers it to
> >> be too experimental and unstable, which is probably accurate, especially
> >> for version 9, so I cannot ask there. If anyone in Fedora-Land has had a
> >> similar experience or has any ideas about how to solve this problem, let
> >> me know.
> >>

> > You need to run vmware-config.pl (as root). If that doesn't work, Google
> > for vmware-any-any-update117.tar.gz (or anything later than 117),
> > download, untar and run the runme.pl script (again as root).
> >
> > poc
> >

> As far as I can determine, this is a patch to the Workstation program
> running on a Linux host and not the Fedora Guest . I am running with a
> Windows host for which this patch is not applicable. Please tell me if
> this is incorrect.

You are correct in that the patch is aimed at a Fedora host, but nowhere
in your original message do you state that your host is a Windows
machine. That's a fairly important point to make when asking for help.
Unfortunately it's not a configuration I'm familiar with.

poc