Re: Problem Installing VMware Tools in Fedora-9

Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
On Thu, 2008-05-29 at 16:11 -0700, Doyle Rhynard wrote:
I am having a problem installing VMware Tools in a Fedora-9 VM that I created using the latest version of Workstation-6. I keep getting the error message: "The directory of kernel headers (@@VMWARE@@ UTS RELEASE) does not match your running kernel version (2.6.25-14.fc9.x86_64)" when it tries to patch the kernel. I have installed several previous version of Fedora on VMware and never encountered a problem like this.

I checked that fedora-9-x86_64-DVD/Packages/kernel-headers-2.6.25-14.fc9.x86_64rpm file using "rpm -qpl" was what was installed at "/usr/include". I even made a link under "/usr/src/linux/include" to match the directory structure that VMware Tools was expecting, but got the same result.

I have seen several messages asking for assistance with Fedora-9 installed with VMware, so it would appear that others have been able to do it successfully. It is quite possible that I have made some unintentional mistake somewhere that I am unable to find.

Unfortunately, VMware does not support Fedora because it considers it to be too experimental and unstable, which is probably accurate, especially for version 9, so I cannot ask there. If anyone in Fedora-Land has had a similar experience or has any ideas about how to solve this problem, let me know.

You need to run vmware-config.pl (as root). If that doesn't work, Google
for vmware-any-any-update117.tar.gz (or anything later than 117),
download, untar and run the runme.pl script (again as root).

poc

As far as I can determine, this is a patch to the Workstation program running on a Linux host and not the Fedora Guest . I am running with a Windows host for which this patch is not applicable. Please tell me if this is incorrect.