Re: More Qlogic driver madness.

Albert Graham wrote:
Mark Haney wrote:

1. Add your qlogic entries to your /etc/modprobe.conf (so that step 3 below will include and load the drivers)

Done that.  Didn't fix it.

2. Backup your current initrd image

   mv /boot/initrd-$(uname -r).img mv /boot/initrd-$(uname -r).img-OLD

3. Create a new initrd

   mkinitrd  -v /boot/initrd-$(uname -r).img $(uname -r)

Yep, this too, even including unpacking the existing one, adding in the firmware in /lib/firmware, repacking and trying it that way.

If the card has a newer firmware version than the driver, it should not use the driver version - normally.

This card is at least 3 years old. It's not a new card. This card has been used since Fedora Core 2.

Question: Why the need to build your own - they are included in Fedora, check with:

ls -la /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/kernel/drivers/scsi/qla*

I'm not looking to build my own module. I'm looking to build either an initrd that works to get the firmware to load, or a kernel that won't need initrd at all to load it. I've put in a bug report and apparently there are other firmware's that are exhibiting the same issues. I'm hoping it'll be found and fixed soon. I had a thought last night that maybe only the x86_64 versions were bit by this. The two systems I have with these cards are Opterons. I'll try the i386 version on my test box later today and see if I get the same problem.

Albert.

Mark Haney
Sr. Systems Administrator
ERC Broadband
(828) 350-2415

Call (866) ERC-7110 for after hours support