Re: Fedora 9 and Security

Andras Simon wrote:
On 5/28/08, Alan Cox <alan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

You can use uuids, labels or device names. Nothing has changed there. The
defaults the installer uses have changed, and it makes no sense for the
installer to ask new users questions like

Use UUID, LABEL or device name ?"

How about old users? Perhaps in this new-user-friendly form:

"Use UUID (recommended), LABEL or device name ?"

Disclaimer: I've never heard of uuids before. But perhaps it'd make
sense for those of us who are using older releases of Fedora, have
several partitions, and would like to install F9 in a separate
partition so we can go back to F8 or F7 in case something goes
wrong, to chose LABEL.

Unless the new install has the same LABEL as one of the old ones. I know three people who have been bitten by using LABEL and getting duplicates, the beauty of UUID is that you won't get a dup with multiple installs, you won't copy a filesystems only or off of a USB drive and plug the drive with the old duplicate name back in a year later.

UUID is ugly, but useful.

Because the answer in 99.99% cases is "uh ??"

Or: "OK, let me chose the default".

And the reason it's default is that it's least likely to fail if the user starts replugging drives, moving them, etc.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>