Re: PGP signatures.

On Wed, 2008-05-28 at 21:45 +0100, Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Wednesday 28 May 2008 20:26:19 Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:

> > > For me, it was when someone accused me of sending a virused email, again
> > > on a forged message.
> >
> > Anne, your signature on a message guarantees that you sent it (actually
> > all it does is guarantee that it was sent by someone with access to your
> > private key, but anyway), however the absence of your signature doesn't
> > guarantee that you didn't send it. Your protestations that you always
> > sign your mail have the same weight as saying you don't send viruses, so
> > I don't see the gain in this specific example.
> >
> I tried to explain about looking at headers and comparing the originating IP
> with a message known to be from me, but that was too much for the person in
> question.  As you say, the presence of my key shows that it originated from
> one of my computers.  That's good enough for the purpose.
>
> > > It is important, though, to maintain the web-of-trust.  It does have
> > > legal implications, and that's why local signing is an option.
> >
> > IANAL etc. etc. but what is your basis for saying it has legal
> > implications? Some PKI systems may indeed have them, but GPG is not a
> > PKI system.
> >
> IANAL either, but I understand that there have been contracts accepted in law
> on the strength of such a signature.  Of course that has no relevance for
> me :-)
>
> What exactly do you mean by 'GPG is not a PKI system'?

PKI = Public Key Infrastructure, which implies among other things the
use of X.509 certificates and a network of trusted certificate
authorities that can verify them. It's a totally different model from
GPG's web-of-trust since it relies on a small number of
centrally-managed servers which have ultimate authority to certify
public keys. GPG (actually PGP) may use servers such as pgp.mit.edu as a
convenience for key distribution but that's not the same thing.

poc