Re: X doesn't start

> On Mon, 2008-05-26 at 16:20 +0000, Beartooth wrote:
>> On Mon, 26 May 2008 11:05:16 -0430, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
	[...]
>> 	Otoh, my hunch says this is progress, or at least gets us off
>> ground zero. So what next?
>
> pgrep -fl X

	pgrep -fl X as user just puts me back to my prompt. As root, it
does the same.

> will tell you if an X server is running. Rebooting will make sure to get
> rid of it. Alternatively, do "init 3; init 5" from a console.

	Not knowing from console (I can't exactly open a gnome-terminal
at the moment), I tried it as root from the one command line I have. It
hit a cupsd error, saying it lacked libldap-2.3.so.0, went on, and seemed
to hang on starting anacron.

	I killed it with ^C, did init 3 alone (which also seemed to hang
on anacron) and did init 5.

	That did more stuff, of course, still hit the cupsd error, and
also set out to start anacron. This time I let it go, and went for a
shower (about 1/2 hour). It got past anacron, saying OK; set network
parameters, and started the NetworkManager daemon, calling both those OK
-- and that's where it still is.

	If I can at least get the machine to connect, I can scp the files
I want off it across my LAN; find a way to wipe the whole drive, but not
the other drive with XP; install F8 clean; and scp those files back.

> If it still doesn't work, check for errors (lines marked EE) in
> /var/log/Xorg.0.log.

	That found two. The first says "Unable to locate/open config
file." The second gets more specific: "Failed to load module
"pcidata"(module does not exist, 0)"

	Btw, I seem to have gotten as far once before as trying to fix
xorg.config -- at least, the file next to it in the same directory is
xorg.config.wrong ...