Re: X doesn't start

On Mon, 26 May 2008 11:05:16 -0430, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:

> On Mon, 2008-05-26 at 15:17 +0000, Beartooth wrote:
>> On Sun, 25 May 2008 21:21:23 -0430, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote: [....]
>> > This has been said before, but it's worth repeating: in F9 it's often
>> > better simply to not have an xorg.conf file at all and let the driver
>> > work it out for itself.
>>
>> 	Then thank you for saying it again; it's news to me.
>>
>> 	What's the best way to go about not having it? Simply go to /etc/
>> X11 and rename it something like NOTxorg.conf? Use an rm command?
>> Comment out something that points to it somewhere? Or what?
>
> Just move it to one side and restart X.

	I renamed it to NOTxorg.conf, which is what I presume you mean;
tried startx, unsuccessfully; exited back to user, and tried startx,
again unsuccessfully; rebooted; and got very different error messages
during boot up from those before. So I logged in as user, and tried
startx another time, again getting very different error messages --
including one that seemed to be saying X was running but illegal to
connect to!

	Here are some fairly copious excerpts, omitting long strings
especially hard to scribble and type from. (But I'll go back and slog
through those too if they help.)

startx
xauth: creating new authority file ...
.... SocketCreateListener() failed
.... server already running

Fatal server error:
Cannot establish any listening sockets -- make sure an X server isn't
already running

giving up
xinit: connection refused (errno 11): unable to connect to X server
xinit: No such process (errno 3): Server error

	You see why I say *seems* to mean -- parts of that look to be
saying X is running, and parts that it's not, any yet other parts that I
should check -- somehow ...

	Otoh, my hunch says this is progress, or at least gets us off
ground zero. So what next?