Re: Mysteries of sound in Fedora-9

stan wrote:

>> But what I'd like to know is how I can test the sound system,
>> to see where the problem arises?

> One thing that gives a quick picture of your sound system is to run the
> script at this location
> http://hg.alsa-project.org/alsa/raw-file/tip/alsa-info.sh
> The script scans your machine and extracts out things relevant for
> diagnosis and puts them on a website.  It gives you a link to the
> information that you can post here or use yourself.
>
> Another thing is to use aplay (man aplay).
>
> In your case aplay -v -D plughw:0,0 some.wav should play something.

Thanks very much for your advice, which I shall follow.

Actually, for the first time ever sound worked on my T23 laptop
when I logged in this morning.
But it had been getting easier to start sound,
or else I was getting cleverer (unlikely).

It's a bit like NetworkManager, which suddenly started working -
maybe when I installed Fedora-9 -
after months if not years of endless fiddling to get it going.

Since then, NM has worked faultlessly.
Hopefully, sound will be the same ...