Re: Amarock - wma format questions

On Sat, 2008-05-24 at 09:00 -0700, stan wrote:
> Daniel B. Thurman wrote:
> > I have several wma file that plays fine on amarock, but then again there
> > are some wma files that won't play at all.  In the ones that fail, I get a
> > message saying: "There is no available decoder", it does not say
> > anything else.

> You're more likely to find this for windows.  So you would run the
> conversion on windows where
> the codecs for wma were written by microsoft.  A search should find lots
> of candidates.

Just for grins, I located several wma files and mplayer plays them just
fine. I would think that would convert them to whatever you want if you
can grasp the mplayer command line.

Huh, just tried that file with Amarok and it plays. So, I went back to
command line mplayer and it says this about that file:

Playing amrdiab-walaalabalo.wma.
ASF file format detected.
Clip info:
 name: Wala Ala Balo
 author: Amr Diab
 copyright: � 2000-2001 RomanySaad.com
 comments:
Opening audio decoder: [ffmpeg] FFmpeg/libavcodec audio decoders
AUDIO: 44100 Hz, 1 ch, s16le, 32.0 kbit/4.54% (ratio: 4003->88200)
Selected audio codec: [ffwmav2] afm: ffmpeg (DivX audio v2 (FFmpeg))

So, ffmpeg is handling it. I use ffmpeg and all of it's add-ons from
freshrpms, as I had problems with livna in the past. I would suggest you
try command line mplayer on your file and see if it plays and if it is
identified as ASF file format. God only knows what wma was when my file
was created in 2001 and what it is now. But, if all things match up,
it's doable with Amarok. And ffmpeg will convert just about anything to
anything else. Ric

p/s Amr Diab rocks if you like Eastern Music in a progressive rock
style. He's like Elvis to the new westernized Saudi crowd. Just google,
get this file and see if it'll play on your current Amarok. Ric

http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/oar