Re: Amarock - wma format questions

Daniel B. Thurman wrote:
I have several wma file that plays fine on amarock, but then again there
are some wma files that won't play at all.  In the ones that fail, I get a
message saying: "There is no available decoder", it does not say
anything else.

>From what I read about wma format on wiki - there were several kinds
of releases, specifically they talk about 4 distinct formats - none which
are compatable wrt to each other, so would that mean one would need
the 4 different codecs when playing "wma" tagged files?  Geez.
That is determined by microsoft. They must have mutated wma through 4 incarnations.
The thing here, is that these wma files plays on windoes media player
just fine, but not amarock - sigh.
They were created by windows (I think wma stands for windows multimedia audio) so it is not surprising they are supported there. No doubt the codecs are proprietary.
Oh yeah - another question - why is it of the *many* windows/linux
wma to mp3 converters fail to convert?  Everything from "specificed
source format could not be read", or "You need to update to directx 8.1
or above", or "Missing/corrupted keys (DRM)".
Again, missing codecs. I think if you get the codecs from mplayer you will be OK but I'm not sure. I very rarely encounter wma. It can play wmv though, so likely
has the codes for wma.  Other possibilities are sox (command line),
xine, xmms.
Does anyone recommend a good wma to mp3 converter?  I would like
to convert all of my wma file into mp3 for universal compatability.
You're more likely to find this for windows. So you would run the conversion on windows where the codecs for wma were written by microsoft. A search should find lots of candidates.
Thanks-
Dan