Re: 82801H (ICH8 Family) NO sound

Justin Conover wrote:

On Thu, May 22, 2008 at 10:57 PM, stan <goedigi89__e@xxxxxxx <mailto:goedigi89__e@xxxxxxx>> wrote:

    Justin Conover wrote:

        I've struggled with this since i"ve had this laptop.  Fedora
        7/8 I was able to build the alsa-driver from mercurial
        repository and it worked.  So far I haven't been able to do
        that in Fedora 9.

        If I file a bug, what does it fall under, kernel, pulseaudio
        or something else.

    Would you download and run the script at this location
    http://hg.alsa-project.org/alsa/raw-file/tip/alsa-info.sh
    and then post back the link so that people can see your sound
    setup?  The script scans your machine and extracts out things
    relevant for diagnosis and puts them on a website.  It gives you a
    link to the information that you can post here.

    It will help determine where the problem is.  I've been able to
    compile the latest HG drivers and library on Fedora 9 and they run
    without a problem though I don't have an ICH8 card.  But there
    might be something specific to your setup besides the card.

-- fedora-list mailing list
    fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx <mailto:fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx>

http://pastebin.ca/1027335
Well the first difference I see is that I am running i386 while you are running x64.

The second is that your alsa components are very different.

  1. Driver version:     1.0.16rc2
2. Library version: 3. Utilities version: 1.0.16

On my system, I have all three of these as 1.0.16. 1.0.16rc3 is actually earlier than 1.0.16, you should try to get to 1.0.16. The HG snapshots which are the latest beta version in a tar file are at ftp://ftp.suse.com/pub/projects/alsa/snapshot/ I used the 5/10/2008 version of the library and the 5/20/2008 version of the drivers. They compiled cleanly and have run fine. There is a caveat with the library. Alsa puts everything into /usr/share/alsa by default. Fedora uses /etc/alsa. You will have to make sure the cards and pci directories in /etc/alsa are the latest for the library to find the latest versions for your card.

All of the above being said, your card should be working. Alsa has recognized it and loaded a driver. It has defined the input and output. The problem is that it is an hda-intel chip. There are a lot of problems with this chip because every eom configures it differently, and so it becomes difficult to recognize the correct driver to use. And there seems to be issues with conflict with acp. Try using different parameters passed to the driver (e.g. 3stack, 6stack, etc.) and turning off acp in the bios and see if that helps. The fact that it was working in previous versions makes me think that this is probably the case. The latest version of the driver might fix the problem because it has been reported and patched already.

When it comes to deeper technical details I'm really over my head. You could try asking on the alsa-devel mailing list. The developers might take the time to answer your questions. You can use the same pastebin as you posted here when you describe your problem. They might give you a patch to use against the driver code. If it works it will be committed to a future release.

Hope that helps.