Re: No sound in F9

Amadeus W.M. wrote:
On Wed, 21 May 2008 11:33:30 +0200, Luc MAIGNAN wrote:

Hi,

I have a 'Creative Labs SB X-Fi' sound card, but it doesn't seem to be
recognized by F9. How can I do to enable sound ?

BR

To begin with, I'd do a google search to see if it's supported. The alsa site should have an answer.
Check, but the last I remember seeing on the mailing list Creative won't release the specs for these cards so they are not supported. There was some talk of reverse engineering, don't know where that went.

On the alsa site you can run the script at http://hg.alsa-project.org/alsa/raw-file/tip/alsa-info.sh. This runs some predetermined tests and creates a copy of your PC data at a website that you can then provide a link to for other people to help debug. Use the alsa-user or alsa-devel lists if still no joy. Sound is difficult to support because it requires technical knowledge of the particular device if not fixed by the obvious, so you might not get answers as the developers who have that knowledge are usually working on fixes and enhancements rather than answering questions. But you might get lucky. :-)
In gnome,
System -> Preferences -> Hardware -> Sound.

Try different drivers and see if you can play the test sounds. Another thing you can try is to temporarily

killall pulseaudio

then try to play something.

Oh, yeah, and unmute the appropriate sliders in volume control.

All good advice.