Re: akmod? What memo did I miss?

Kevin J. Cummings wrote:
I believe its the "actual" kmod package. It gets dragged in if you install the kmod package, which is now a "generic" package.

I don't believe that to be the case. I installed madwifi from livna. yum's dep solver picked the akmod by default, but if I specifically requested the kmod, the akmod was not installed. Yum should install one or the other, but not both.

The akmod is what gets built every time you install a new kernel and need new builds of your modules for it. No longer is there a need to download a new pre-built kmod package, now, it just re-builds your modules for you.

That's so. The kmod package contains a binary driver for a specific kernel. The akmod package contains the source and scripts required to build a new driver for any kernel that you install.

I don't know what "akmod" means, or where it's documented, or why it might be better than dkms. If anyone else does, I'd like to know. :)