Re: Live USB wireless connection

Tim:
>> Similarly, I distrust wireless networking.  I've not read of WPA being
>> cracked yet, but I'm sure it's on the cards.  Though it's far from being
>> the only risky sort of networking.  e.g. Users on cable internet
>> commonly will share a WAN between houses on the same street.

Patrick O'Callaghan:
> Secure online apps are end-to-end. You could have some box in the
> middle copying every bit in both directions and not lose anything. In
> fact you do: it's called your ISP. Wireless connections are no less
> secure than wired in this sense because they only affect the local
> link.

I think you're probably safe enough with your average bank, though
there's enough that do stupid things (stuff pages with Flash, stupidly
suggest you need to use MSIE rather than your actually better/newer
alternative browser, etc.).  I'm more concerned with the number of
things that aren't really secured by the remote end, so what you do with
them is also poorly secured, by default.  And I dare say that you're far
less at risk of being abused by someone in your ISP than by some
malcontent out wardriving.

There's plenty of *other* things that aren't secured, at all (such as
email, and webpage logins using basic HTTP authentication, etc.).  The
only thing stopping someone else snooping on them is you not
broadcasting the information.

We've had encryption schemes for mail logons for a long time, but I've
yet to come across an ISP that even told you anything about it, so I
don't know if they support it.  And I've been through over half a dozen
ISPs over the years, including the major ones.  And that's not even
thinking about message content encryption, the average person would be
completely floundering trying to use that.

I think most of the IM schemes have encrypted logons, by now, but the
messages are still sent in the clear.

--
[tim@bigblack ~]$ uname -ipr
2.6.23.15-80.fc7 i686 i386