Re: Live USB wireless connection

On Mon, 2008-05-19 at 09:07 -0400, Daniel Y. Zhang wrote:
> Hmm, I don't know it coz I am not a network security guru. One of my
> friends told me to hide the SSID to make my wireless AP safer since
> hackers can not see it. It must be an illusion,  isn't it? Can you
> tell me why?

Probably the best thing for you, at this stage, would be to google
wireless security myths.  There's a few pages that explain this, and few
other furphys, rather well.  There's at least one that points out the
six common misconceptions, with about a one paragraph answer for each.

> BTW, I try again in the weekend to broadcast my SSID, it only works
> when I didn't set any security mechanisms(WEP or WPA). When I set
> 128-bit WEP again, the wireless failed.

WEP is next to useless, it can be cracked in minutes.  If you can do
WPA, then use it instead.  Whichever scheme you use, you use at both
ends of the connection (access point and computer).

Ironically I've just been talking about this over the phone a couple of
times over the weekend.  With a friend setting things up at one friend's
house, then going over and trying again at anothers.  For him, the
easiest way to change from using an unencrypted connection to an
encrypted one, was to erase the old connection settings, and start
again.  The system will/should prompt you to authenticate when it needs
the passkey, but seemed better at doing so with a clean slate.

--
[tim@bigblack ~]$ uname -ipr
2.6.23.15-80.fc7 i686 i386

I read messages from the public lists.