Re: Using preupgrade remotely over ssh

On Sun, 2008-05-18 at 16:58 -0700, Robert J. Berger wrote:
> On May 18, 2008, at 3:47 PM, Neal Becker wrote:
>

> > I done several remote via nx.  You can do the d/l.  You still we
> > have to
> > walk over to the machine to finish.
> >
> > Many years ago I admin a bunch of hpux boxes.  One nice thing was I
> > could
> > update them all completely remotely.
> >

> Unfortunately I can't just walk over and finish the install. That's
> the whole point of my question. I have to drive 90 minutes to get to
> the servers and I don't want to do that. There are boxes (like Sun's)
> that have out of band management that allows this, but if preupgrade
> had a way to preconfigure the installer or had a way to automatically
> start up vnc for the boot process, then it could do it remotely.
----
That would seem to be possible eventually because I think it was using
anaconda on reboot but a quick glance at the Trac driven development
site for preupgrade doesn't give any clues that it's on the table...

https://fedorahosted.org/preupgrade/wiki

I don't think that Seth or Will monitor this list but you might want to
create a bugzilla entry RFE on preupgrade package (the package is indeed
listed in https://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla).

In the meantime, yum updates are certainly possible

Craig