Re: Fedora 9 + CIFS issue

On Sun, May 18, 2008 at 5:53 AM, Tim <ignored_mailbox@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Sun, 2008-05-18 at 09:34 +0100, Anne Wilson wrote:
>> FWIW I didn't have to do anything to the end of the file, just remove
>> the spaces around the '='.
>
> If you're talking about entries in the fstab file, as I seem to recall
> reading earlier in the thread, I can't imagine things ever working if
> you put spaces in the wrong places in that.  White space is used to
> separate the different parts of the entries from each other, whereas
> parameters in a particular part need to be kept together.  i.e. The
> filesystem options are comma-seperated.
>
> [device]  [mountpoint]  [filesystem]  [filesystem options]  [dump options]  [fsck options]
>
> --
> [tim@bigblack ~]$ uname -ipr
> 2.6.23.15-80.fc7 i686 i386

> --

i think there was a change somehow in the parsing of the credentials
file as i did not change the file at all upgrading to fedora 9. i had
a difficult time but i was finally able to edit the file using xvi32
and removed the trailing dot (.) which is i guess a newline in the
ascii world. ghex or hexedit was unusable for me.

if you have issues and have something like //IP/user   /media/user
  cifs    rw,credentials=/home/user/samba_cred 0 0 in your fstab, do a
mount -a -v and see if mount breaks it in two lines, if it does then
you have a newline problem.