Re: ghostscript regression

Thanks for your reply,

> Is the last page really 226?

No, in ghostview, I could see all the pages (over 700).  I think the
PostScript parsing crash probably caused a partial abort.  The first
bad figure was at about that point.

> I've had some experience with "a book containing PostScript figures dating back to the 1990s" (and earlier).  Many of the figures did not meet the "EPS" specification.  The book was originally formatted using Y&Y TeX, dvipsone, and distiller.  The solution was to convert all the figures to PDF (because that can be done with pretty much any PS file, not just EPS) and format using pdftex with miniltx and the LaTeX graphics macros.

Thanks for the tip.  In my case, I have to remain compatible with
latex2html as well, which does not support PDF figures to my
knowledge.  Rewriting the PostScript using Illustrator seems to work
ok, although it emits  the wrong bounding box info for the thumbnail
(a full page instead of the original bounding box).

Julius