Re: minicom questions, need expert

On Friday 16 May 2008, Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
>On Thursday 15 May 2008, Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
>> Gene Heskett wrote:
>>> Its beginning to look as if I'm going to have to write a filter to break
>>> it up into say 60 line pages & send them to lpr one 'file' at a time.
>>> There apparently is not a way to send a valid EOF from the other end
>>> unless someone can decode a '^Z' into a value I can try just for grins.
>>
>> A ^Z is 26 decimal or 1A hex. But I think you want to send a ^D (4)
>> to indicate a UNIX EOF. (You can change this with stty.)
>
>I got to thinking about this and there may be an easy fix for this.
>Take a look at the data being sent and see if they are sending a ^Z
>at the end of each "page". If so, you can probably use stty to
>change the EOF to ^Z instead of ^D. You will probably have to change
>the suspend character first from ^Z to something else. (I have only
>tested it on the local tty and only with changing eof...)
>
>stty -F <device> susp ^Y ; stty -F <device> eof ^Z
>  or
>stty -F <device> susp ^Y eof ^Z

The data stream that a 'dir -e bigdir >/p' is not paginated in any way.  But
we've worked out a usable solution without requiring special setups on the
src machine that works very well, all in about 110 lines of bash code running
as a daemon here.  And that was the itch that needed scratching.

There were some hints from here, and I warmly thank all those that answered,
but I have to give about 95% of the credit to a member of the amanda-user
list, Jon LaBadie, who is an absolute script genius.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)