Re: KDE 4...

On Fri, 2008-05-16 at 03:12 -0400, Ric Moore wrote:

> I think that Fedora may be giving KDE more loving attention now that
> Mono is potentially on the legal ropes, which Gnome uses/doesn't use/may
> use ...it's confusing to me. There's been some controversy over Mono and
> ties to the Evil Empire. KDE might be the answer to that problem, if we
> need to get rid of Mono completely with short notice and it is found to
> have tainted Gnome. Even Beagle got mentioned.
>
> http://www.linux.com/feature/21338
>
> Interesting read, and it's about the most unbiased I've found. OTOH,
> there are some sites really raising hell ...FUD? I dunno. I'm not a
> legal expert nor am I tuned into the "inner-sanctums" of how it all
> works. Just google on "gnome mono microsoft" if you really want to see
> some raves on the topic. But, none have mentioned KDE as possibly
> "tainted", so there is that! :) Ric

I don't see the need for Mono, and I'm not defending it.

However, if you check the date on the article you link to, you'll notice
that it's six years old.

Since then, nothing in the discussion about Mono has really changed. The
same arguments against it get revived periodically, that's all. But, so
far as I know, Mono is neither more nor less "on the ropes" now than it
has been in the last six years.

As to exactly how much that actually is -- well, your guess is as good
as mine. GNOME obviously isn't too worried, and Mark Shuttleworth
recently issued a statement saying that he saw no reason for concern.

I think that part of the reaction to Mono is part of that same knee-jerk
reaction that happens whenever anything related to Microsoft gets
mentioned. That reaction makes it very hard to decide whether there's
any real cause for concern.

--
Bruce Byfield 604-421-7177
Burnaby, BC, Canada