Re: Fedora 8.0 Installation problems

Robert Cox wrote, On 05/15/2008 05:58 PM:
Ric, Max and others,

BTW, please don't top post.
I stumbled across another Forum today with a person who encountered the same problem as I did on the nearly the same specs as my system.

Some of the folks on the list might be able to take better guesses, IF we knew what those specs were, i.e., post a smolt or lspci or tell us it is a Dell|HP Model 1500 (which we could lookup the specs for), on an AZUS5 mobo, with a Toshiba 1X DVD connected through USB.
BTW we are talking about F9 right?
The person replying to this person said that Fedora is trying to load from the wrong device.

URL?
It sometimes thinks that you are loading from a hard disk instead of CD ROM even though it boots from the DVD.

BIOS maker & version?
To save myself work and time and joining another forum. How to do you find the source directory from the installation menu to check to see what it is trying to install from?

At the point you are in the install sequence, you are running out of a ramdisk that was loaded from the DVD in floppy emulation mode, the source directory is still on the DVD and you can't apparently get to it, because once the BIOS got done using the DVD as a floppy Linux could not see the device on what ever bus [scsi|pata|sata|esata|usb|firewire|gpib|please pick one] that it happens to be on.

I had to deal with this on a RHEL 4 install because I was using a USB DVD and USB DVDs were not built into the install kernel, it would boot but not finish the kickstart install... AFAIK Fedora 9 does not suffer THAT problem.
I do not see an option on the installation screens to go into that directory.

<Ctrl><Alt><F1><Enter>
<Ctrl><Alt><F2><Enter>
<Ctrl><Alt><F3><Enter>
<Ctrl><Alt><F4><Enter>
at least one of those is a terminal where you can execute commands, like lspci and cd. and IIRC one is essentially syslog|dmesg which may give other clues to the problem.

   Once again I appreciate any assistance.
Thanks,
  Rob