Re: yum update

On Wed, 2008-05-14 at 19:35 -0400, Chris Snook wrote:
> Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> > On Wed, 2008-05-14 at 09:56 -0400, Gene Poole wrote:
> >> I started using yum to update my systems as-soon-as 'up2date' was no longer
> >> supported.  So, I have friends and people I work with asking me for a 'rule
> >> of thumb', which I don't know.  So, I'm asking the member of this list:
> >>
> >>    What is the 'rule of thumb' for re-booting after the completion of the
> >>    'yum -y update' command? How do you know if you should re-boot - if
> >>    there is a kernel update? Should you reboot based upon what key
> >>    components have been updated?  How do you know what's been updated if
> >>    you schedule it to run at 2 AM?  Do you ever have to re-boot?
> >>
> >> I don't have a answer to these questions, do you?
> >
> > AFAIK there isn't a hard and fast rule. You need to look at what yum has
> > updated. Thus if it changed the kernel or libc, you should reboot
> > whenever convenient. If it changed an X driver or the X server, or the
> > basic part of your desktop manager, you'll want to logout and in again,
> > usually restarting X in the process. If it changed a running
> > application, quit the app and restart it, etc. etc.
> >
> > I agree it would be nice for yum to tell you this explicitly.
> >
> > poc
> >

> Library updates, even glibc, are handled gracefully without reboot.  I
> only reboot for kernel and selinux-policy* updates, and I'm not even
> 100% sure that's still necessary for the latter, though if someone wants
> to clarify that, please chime in.

Given that virtually every process on the system is using glibc an
update to it means that every process that started running before the
update (e.g. X and most of your desktop) is using one version and every
process running after is using a different version. That usually doesn't
matter, though it might conceivably make a difference in some corner
cases. More to the point, it means you're loading the VM system twice as
much as necessary.

I'm happy to be corrected on this if I'm wrong, but that's my current
view of the world.

poc