Re: Segmentation fault in network-functions

On Tue, 2008-05-13 at 07:17 -0700, don vogt wrote:
> It all started when I visited a government contracted
> healthcare site and it wouldn't work correctly with
> linux. When I signed in I had to change my password
> before I could do anything and the site wouldn't let
> me change my password with Firefox. When I complained,
> I was told that their government contract requires
> them to use 128 bit encription, which is only in
> Internet Explorer and Netscape.

Are you sure that's really true?  Many of the website complaints that
"your browser doesn't support ..." are completely bogus (they're
ignorant of the facts, and/or have done an erroneous test).  And I'd
certainly be far more concerned about the overall safety of using MSIE
over almost any other alternative.

                        ------------------

See:  http://kb.mozillazine.org/128-bit_Encryption

"Mozilla Suite, Firefox, and Thunderbird support up to 256-bit
encryption (although it's not commonly used) and is suitable for secure
transfers on the Internet. You can use Mozilla Suite, Firefox, and
Thunderbird with your bank or any other financial instution that
requires strong encryption to protect your personal data. You can also
set Mozilla Suite and Firefox to give you an alert when you access a
secure page and when you leave a secure page.

"Some websites incorrectly detect encryption capabilities and report
that Mozilla Suite and Firefox do not have 128-bit encryption. You may
be able to get around this problem by changing the browser's user agent
string to that of Internet Explorer.

"This page was last modified 11:52, 12 September 2006"

As far as I can see, you'd have to be using something quite old not to
have 128 bit security.

I read messages from the public lists.