vgdisplay can't see volume group after upgrade

I'm trying to upgrade (yum) from FC6 to FC8.  I started by upgrading to
FC7 but that hosed something giving me a kernel panic trying to find
/dev/root so I figured I'd push ahead to FC8 to see if that would
resolve my problem.

I have one small /boot partition on my first drive.  The rest of it, and
a second drive, is all lvm.  Once I discovered the problem with the FC8
upgrade I rebooted back to my FC6 kernel.  Everything boots fine but
vgdisplay shows nothing.  When I run system-config-lvm it sees the
second lvm partition of my first drive unallocated, as well as the
entire second drive.

I can back everything up and just reinstall but I've upgraded fedora
using yum before and while there were problems I always found a way to
make it work.  This one has me stumped.  I believe the kernel panic
_might_ be coming from the fact the kernel doesn't recognize my managed
volumes.  Maybe the lvm meta information is trashed?

If anybody can help I'd appreciate it.  Any diagnostics or hints would
be appreciated.  I can reinstall but I'd like to get it working on my
own so I can learn something.

I'll be happy to post any system information necessary if it will help.
Also, I did prepare for the upgrade by applying labels and validating
fstab, and grub.conf before proceeding. Booting to the FC8 rescue CD and trying mkinitrd didn't really work either. When I booted into the rescue CD it couldn't see my volume group either.

Thanks - Tod