Re: Non Profit Utah Children and Youth group needs Web Hosting

On Sat, 2008-05-10 at 13:28 -0600, karl steenblik wrote:
> Free web hosting.
>
> We are a non profit group that helps newborns through high school
> young adults with managing their diabetes.  We provide this support
> regardless of a families ability  Right now we have free hosting on a
> web server that is provided by a Linux group that supports our cause.
> We only have 200MB of space and we would like to show video of camp
> activities soon after they happen.  This way parents can see what is
> going on at camp while their children are away.
>
> We are in desperate need of more donated space to support our
> website.

Do you need more drive space or more bandwidth? A 100-200 gigabyte
harddrive is really cheap nowadays. Get someone to donate one, give it
to the people hosting you to install for your use, if they'll go along
with that. 200 MB is pretty small for videos. Maybe they're keeping it
small for a reason, so you are not using up all of their bandwidth for
free? Serving videos is pretty much bandwidth intensive, both up and
down. So, if the local user group is just running a small server on a
dedicated DSL line, and not a server farm, I agree that dumping it to
YouTube would be a good thing for everyone. Ric

http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/oar