Re: help with file recovery?

Dave Stevens wrote, On 05/09/2008 03:02 PM:
Hi,

I have a MS Word file from several years ago that I want to look at.

Are you sure it is Word and not Write or Works?
I had one from Write which a decade later I wanted the data from, I ended up having to find an OLD version of Word (the new ones did not handle it) to open the file and then save as Word95, so I could then use OOo.
I expect similar or worse from a Works document.

I can not open it with OpenOffice Writer, Abiword, gedit. All give a message that indicates there is something wrong with the file format - character encoding, damaged file etc. But when I use less to view the contents I get an initial warning that the file may be binary (fair enough, it is) then it shows me the content I more or less expected, though horribly unformatted and hard to read. It is all text that I want, no figures or graphics. As far as I know I could cut and paste from less, or use a hex editor, but that is horribly tedious for 35 pages or so of text. Anyone have a suggestion?

If you have a friend who is still infected with MS products, you could ask for help converting to a newer format.

But since you don't care about the figures/graphics the easiest Unix way is:
strings file.doc > file.unformatted.txt
then pull that into your favorite editor to apply formatting.

--
Todd Denniston