Re: Samba users - upgrade

On Fri, 2008-05-09 at 12:30 -0500, Bob Hartung wrote:
> Hi all,
>    I have a running install of Redhat 8 that is about to be upgraded.
> There is a complex Samba share with users set up my someone else and I
> am new to Samba.  I have a couple of questions.
>
> 1.  Can I copy the smbpasswd file and smb.conf file from the old set up
> to Fedora 8?
----
Yes, you can copy smbpasswd and smb.conf from old setup to new setup. I
wouldn't expect it to work completely though...

executing 'testparm -s' will be useful for you.

I vaguely recollect Fedora 8 being samba-2.2.x and that is going to have
some issues with upgrade to samba-3.0.2x

There is information about samba upgrade from 2.x to 3.x at
http://www.samba.org/samba/docs - see the 'Official How-To'
----
> 2.  Does every user with acces to the Samba share have to have an
> account on the machine proper or can this be accomplished within Samba?
----
no - samba requires both a samba and a unix account

Craig