Re: upgrade from fedora core 6 to 9

> On Thu, 2008-05-08 at 00:17 -0400, Ric Moore wrote:
>> On Wed, 2008-05-07 at 15:32 +0100, Alan Cox wrote:

>> > There shouldn't be. There are boxes I look after that started on RH
>> 7.x
>> > and are now on FC8. If you are worried then run the upgrades through
>> FC7
>> > and FC8 first
>>
>> Yeah, let us know how it goes. Myself, I'd backup everything first. You
>> just might be looking at a full install if it blows up ...which could
>> very well happen, IMHO. As a matter of practice, I only do full installs
>> from my past experience. :) Ric
>> -
> Despite what Alan Cox recommended I think the consensus is that the
> chances of safely upgrading a fedora version are slim. That is what
> people like so much about Ubuntu. One updates over the web without an
> install disk and it works. In fedora for example we have other repos we
> load from. I replaced totem with totem-xine from livna. It is hard to
> believe an upgrade would handle this easily. The same with my mplayer
> from livna and RealPlayer from their web site.
>
> Now Alan Cox I will admit is more knowledgeable about Fedora than I am.
> So if anyone can pull this upgrade off he can. But notice even he
> slipped in the advice not to upgrade directly from FC6 to f9 but go one
> version at a time.

To be clear, he indicated that if the OP was leary of the direct upgrade
approach, to go version by version.

I recently performed a Yum upgrade from FC6 to F8, with only my desktop
settings getting munged a bit, in the process.

I'm preparing to do the same with my family server, from FC5 to F8.
--
Mike Burger
http://www.bubbanfriends.org

Visit the Dog Pound II BBS