Re: Kernel 2.6.23 hangs at "starting udev ..."

On Thursday 08 May 2008, Forcey wrote:
>On Thu, May 8, 2008 at 3:22 PM, Ric Moore <wayward4now@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> On Thu, 2008-05-08 at 06:28 +0000, g wrote:
>>  >
>>  > Forcey wrote:
>>  > > Hi All,
>>  > >
>>  > > I tried to install F8 on one of my servers, but it hangs at "starting
>>  > > udev..." when booting. Kernel 2.6.23 for F7 has the same problem. Now
>>  >
>>  > your problems may well be different from what i had, but i can tell
>>  > that if you happen to be trying to boot with lilo, you will have
>>  > problems.
>>  >
>>  > booting with grub clear my problems, just took a while to figure out
>>  > what was hanging.
>
>I'm definitely booting with grub.
>
>>  > also, because it does hang with udev, be sure that you are showing
>>  > correct designations for udev devices. ie, '(hdn,n)', *no* '/dev/hdx'
>>  > or '/dev/hdxn' used in.
>
>I think I am using (hdn,n) correctly. This is the boot parameters
>(actually generated by yum) in menu.1st that won't work:
>
>title Fedora (2.6.23.15-80.fc7PAE)
this line speaks bios
>        root (hd0,0)
and this one speaks filesystem
>        kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.23.15-80.fc7PAE ro root=LABEL=/
>        initrd /boot/initrd-2.6.23.15-80.fc7PAE.img

And FWIW, this format also indicates that you do not have a '/boot' partition
or label, instead /boot is a subdir of /

If your 'boot' was a separate partition, then the "/boot" portions of the
paths used for vmlinuz and initrd would not be there in the grub stanza.

>>  I thought it was all changed to sd(x) instead of hd(x)? Ric
>
>But another box runs F8 very smoothly with (hdx,y):
>
>title Fedora (2.6.23.1-42.fc8) noacpi
>        root (hd0,2)
>        kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.23.1-42.fc8 ro root=LABEL=/1 noacpi
>        initrd /boot/initrd-2.6.23.1-42.fc8.img

This (hdn,n) in the (hd0,0) means that its the first bios drive, and the first
partition on that drive.  In other words you have a partition used as /boot,
possibly even labeled as '/boot' (doesn't care here) and its the first
partition on that drive.  If your /boot was partition 3 on the 2nd bios
drive, then this would become "root (hd1,3)"

Your second example would mean that your linux partition (you are dual booting
perhaps) is the 3rd partition of the drive the bios knows as the first drive
found and the rest tells me you don't have a separate '/boot' partition
simply because the full path, not a relative one, is specified.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)