Re: [Bulk] Re: Backup with rsync problem

William Case wrote:
> Thanks g;
you are most welcome.

> Probably don't need the hard links.
soft links do have there place as do hard links. hard links are a 'save
butt' in case you kill off original.

> I didn't fully understand them in
> rsync, don't use them myself, and only threw -H in as an after thought.
ok. this may be were rsync was failing. if you are not using them, -H
should not be added as arg, as it could just be what was killing rsync.

> I have my head around it now.  Piping verbose (-v) to a log file is
> something I never thought of -- should have.
now that you are, use the `date` to give you a continuing record of what
you have done. then you will have a history that you can delete old ones
as your backups grow.

you can also use cpio to back up paths to a single file. this will save you
on inodes, but it will build your storage space. if you want to keep an
'active' backup, rsync is way to go. if you want to have something with a
history, cpio is way to go.

there are many ways and progs to do back ups. 'what ever churns your butter'
is something that you will have to decide in time.

> One tends to get angry and flustered, after one blows their system by
> trying to fix things with too many shortcuts and then finds parts of
> their backups are 3 months out of date.
with time, you will learn what 'works' and what does not. in between, you
are only defeating yourself by letting it get to you. but, when it does
catch you, that is time to get up, walk away, take a break.

> All my own fault, of course.
learning is a fault ridden process. if you did not error from time to time,
how would you know you are learning? think about that one.

> Should have checked that the whole script
> was working (i.e included dot files) not just the regular file part.
.files should be picked up with rsync. if they are not, something else may
be giving you problems.

btw, as a last thought, as i did not mention before, please understand, i thru
'man ln' at you to get your thinking about links, not rsync. i do believe rsync
'should' pick them up. i do not use them myself, so i can not say how rsync
will work with them.

a big part is to run verbose so you have something to check back into along
with your system logs.

all in all, *always* check 'man' and 'info' when you run into problems with
what you are not familiar enough with, and you have problems. granted, it is
always easier to ask for help than it is to read for help. then when you have
problems, you are at least more familiar with what you are not understanding
and asked help will be less confusing.

also, please excuse delay in reply, i am having fun playing with installing
fedora 8 so that i will be better versed when i install fedora 9.

later.

- --

tc,hago.

.