Re: [Bulk] Re: Backup with rsync problem

William Case wrote:
>>>  My script is 'rsync -auH --del
>>> --filter=-_/home/bill/.dbus /home/bill/ /backup/bill/'.
> 	      ^ a typo
it was making me wonder.

> /home/bill/ is on sdb8 while /backup/bill/ is mounted on sda5
> (LABEL=backup)
>
> Unless I missed something, they should be different names as far as
> rsync is concerned.
right you are. i missed it. i guess i am going to have to start reading what is
written and not listen to what i am thinking.

> My rsync doesn't seem much different. Your -v is verbose, my -H is a
> hard link -- (probably don't need it).

ok. i think i have my thinking synced with my reading now.

how about doing a redirect with rsync's output to a file so that you can go
back to it and read what is happening

in looking back thru 'man ln':

+++++
DESCRIPTION
    In  the  1st form, create a link to TARGET with the name LINK_NAME.  In
    the 2nd form, create a link to TARGET in the current directory.  In the
    3rd  and  4th  forms, create links to each TARGET in DIRECTORY.  Create
    hard links by default, symbolic links with --symbolic.   When  creating
    hard links, each TARGET must exist.
+++++

last line may be saying something. rsync is trying to create a hard link.

also,

+++++
   -d, -F, --directory
          allow the superuser to attempt to hard link  directories  (note:
          will  probably  fail  due  to  system restrictions, even for the
          superuser)
+++++

tho this is 'directory' it is saying 'hard link', which you are trying to do.
and another reason to save rsync output. plus if you do not have to have hard
links...

also, check your logs. something could be showing up there.

- --

tc,hago.

.

without fences, who needs gates.