Re: What is 'auto ethernet' in nm-applet (F9)?

Rahul Sundaram wrote:
Phil Meyer wrote:
Rahul Sundaram wrote:
Neal Becker wrote:
um ... its not pre-release, its out there.

Fedora 9 isn't out there yet. What is out there are test/development releases.

Some major problems exist that I can see.

!!IF!! no prior version is installed before installing NetworkManager-0.7.0-0.6.7.svn3370:

1.   eth0 is grayed out and unusable
2.   There is no way to add a dial-up connection
   a. prior releases would use dial-ups created by system-config-network
3.   All connection edits are limited to Delete -- no add or modify.

Kinda tough to use it like this. Those who have connections already configured before upgrading to this version will continue to be able to use those connections, however, 2 and 3 still apply.

Please prove me wrong, my users are getting restless over this ...

I can't really provide you wrong since NM behavior is hardware specific. Deploying a development release to new users isn't best practise. Do file bug reports however.

Rahul
Um... That change is in Fedora 8, not pre-release. I noticed it too. I'm sure skimming over it, it might seem like he (we) are talking about the pre-release, but it is a change that automatically showed up for users of F8.

I guess you don't have to run Rawhide to get new stuff, which is great for some situations, but definitely bad for others.