Re: What is 'auto ethernet' in nm-applet (F9)?

Rahul Sundaram wrote:
Neal Becker wrote:
What does 'auto ethernet' selection do?

Pre-release questions should be directed to fedora-test list. NM has two different settings for ethernet connections. The one called 'eth0' inherits the settings from /etc/sysconfig/network* files. "Ethernet" uses gconf to manage the settings. It is a classic vs new method difference.

Rahul

um ... its not pre-release, its out there.

I roll Fedora releases almost every kernel release.

Right now, its:

kernel-2.6.24.5-85.fc8
and
NetworkManager-0.7.0-0.6.7.svn3370.fc8

Some major problems exist that I can see.

!!IF!! no prior version is installed before installing NetworkManager-0.7.0-0.6.7.svn3370:

1.   eth0 is grayed out and unusable
2.   There is no way to add a dial-up connection
   a. prior releases would use dial-ups created by system-config-network
3.   All connection edits are limited to Delete -- no add or modify.

Kinda tough to use it like this. Those who have connections already configured before upgrading to this version will continue to be able to use those connections, however, 2 and 3 still apply.

Please prove me wrong, my users are getting restless over this ...