Re: X config damaged by power failure

On Fri, 2008-05-02 at 14:21 -0500, Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
> g wrote:

> > this is incorrect. ups = uninterruptible power supply.
> >
> > dc to ac conversion is done with mains floating battery and ac conversion
> > circuit draws power form battery. this is what maintains continuous ac
> > output with out interruption.
> >

> It is supposed to be uninterpretable, but in practice, low end UPSs,
> especially the ones sold for home or home offices, have a changeover
> time when AC fails. It is only a cycle of so, but it is there. They
> are not designed to be providing continuous AC. These units should
> properly be called a battery backup, and not a UPS, but you know how
> marketing is.
>
> I have worked with true UPSs, but most of those were 480 volt, 3
> phase, with a room full of batteries...

Hi, Mikel,
	A few years ago you were right... But today, most have the internal
capacitors and a relatively common chipset so that they typically don't
miss cycles, but perhaps a fraction of a cycle.  To be sure, a purchaser
should read the specs, but most will meet the needs of a home user with
no problem, providing the batteries are kept up (meaning checked or
changed annually or so.)

Regards,
Les H