Re: [Fedora] Re: Remote Desktop on FC8

Ashley M. Kirchner wrote:
Mark Haney wrote:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but if the machine has a desktop running, doesn't it also have X?
If you want to say that WindowsXP has "X" running on them, sure. And running X over SSH does not get me the native desktop, which is what I need.

I don't recall, in the OP, anything about XP being involved. So, based on the fact that I (and a lot of other people I would bet) assumed this was generating a remote desktop automatically on a headless box. I suggested X over ssh because if the 'remote' machine has a desktop, then it's got X. The same goes for the 'local' machine running XP, cygwin gives you that capability even on XP. I've done that several times.

The lack of mention of XP in the OP certainly threw me off, along with a few others I'd be willing to bet. Somehow I get the feeling that particular detail might have been important and could have shortened this thread considerably.

Mark Haney
Sr. Systems Administrator
ERC Broadband
(828) 350-2415

Call (866) ERC-7110 for after hours support