Re: Fedora Desktop future- RedHat moves

On Wed, 2008-04-30 at 17:18 -0400, Ric Moore wrote:
> I thought that the case for using GPL'd code was that someone else
> could
> modify your code freely, but they would have to submit the changes and
> improvements back to the original "author" for approval to be used in
> the next release cycle of the project.

That's a misreading of the GPL (or a misstatement of what you mean).
Firstly there is no obligation to make available your changes to anyone
else, as long as you don't pass them on to a third party, in which case
the mods must be subject to the GPL. Secondly, even in the latter case
there is no obligation to submit anything for the original author's
approval. You simply have to make it available to him the same as to
anyone else. If he incorporates your changes fine. If not, you've
created a fork, which is also fine.

poc