Re: Help Requested in Choosing a Power Linux Laptop/Notebook with Multimedia.

Sanjay,

I've had very satisfactory results with a Toshiba Satellite A100 and FC8. I can play back all commonplace media types (visit http://fedorasolved.net for HOW-TOs on installing optimized graphic drivers and multimedia support). FC8 recognized and supported everything on my system, and set up mounts for the Windows partition in case you need to store and retrieve stuff there.

Since I installed FC8 and did the necessary post-installation work (installing support for different media types), I haven't booted into Windows at all and have no plans to go back to Windows. So far, I've found a Linux-based solution for every need.

Just make sure you choose a webcam of a mainstream brand and model, to be sure you'll be able to use it (same advice applies for other external devices, except those that use generic drivers).

Also, if you are going to keep a small Windows installation (there are times when you'll need it - the Toshiba hardware utilities are all Windows-based) then install Windows first before Linux and allow around 15 Gig to give you plenty of room for the few needs in question). Then install Linux after (FC makes the system dual-bootable without any problem - I suppose CentOS would too).

Hope this helps,

David

On Thu, May 1, 2008 at 5:44 AM, Sanjay Arora <sanjay.k.arora@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Wed, Apr 30, 2008 at 1:48 AM, Tim Evans <tkevans@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > However, I am in a fix now. I need to buy a high end laptop, (4 GB
>
>  google is your friend...

Google is indeed a friend. I was ignorant before I approached friend
Google.....I was utterly confused after ;-))

With regards.
Sanjay.