Re: User Keyboard problems "SOLVED"

Paul Johnson wrote:
On Tue, Apr 29, 2008 at 10:42 PM, Paul Johnson <pauljohn32@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 4/29/08, Jim <mickeyboa@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
 > One User has lost use of Keyboard on his home directory,

 This has happened to me in kde. I don't know the correct word for
 this. There is a feature for disabled users and it is installed by
 default. If you inadvertently hold down a key, it pops up  with a
 prompt and if you are not paying attention, you say yes, and then
 keyboard gets put into a weird mode where it does not seem to work at
 all. I quit using KDE when I saw what they had planned for version 4,
 so I don't have access to it right now.  But if you don't make some
 progress, write back to the list. I will reinstall kde to find the
 name of that thing.

 A way to test my theory would be either
 1. in the display manager log in screen, choose a different kind of
 session, Gnomme, WindowMaker, XFCE, whaatever.  If keys work, you know
 KDE is to blame.
 2. log in as a different user. then su to the problem user, cd to his
 home, mv .kde .kde-old. log out, log in.  That should start from a
 clean slate.

 --

I was just able to re-produce the problem on a clean system.  In KDE,
sit for a while resting your fingers on the space bar or a key.  After

"Warning -KDE Accessibility Tool"

Do  you really wan to activate "Slow keys?"

You held down the Shift key for 8 seconds or an application has
requested to change this settings. These AccessX settings are needed
for some users with motion impairments and can be configured in the
KDE control center. You can also turn  them off with standardized
keyboard gestures..."

If you accidentally say "Continue" then it appears as if your keyboard
does not work at all.

pj

Problem is Solved, thanks to all for responding.
The problem was that settings had changed in the KDE Control Center, as show below.

Regional&Accessibility/Accessibility/Activation Gestures The first line there was not checked and it was supposed to be.