Re: X config damaged by power failure

On Tuesday 29 April 2008 06:40:17 pm Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> I had a power blackout this afternoon (in fact it affected most of
> the country -- I live in Venezuela) and after coming back up my X
> configuration was damaged. Basically the screen resolution was all
> wrong and the Display widget (under Gnome this time) refused to
> change it to something reasonable.
>
> This is F9-pre, and there is no /etc/X11/xorg.conf file.
>
> I switched to a console, did "init 3" and ran
> system-config-display. This worked perfectly and created the
> xorg.conf file.
>
> What I'd like to know for future reference is where does an
> xorg.conf-less X server gets its configuration from? Is it stored
> in a file somewhere, did that file get damaged by the power blip
> and thus have strange settings in it (which X simply accepted
> without complaint). If it's not stored but regenerated from
> hardwired settings, why was it all wrong where previously it had
> been right?
>
> I'm happy it all worked out, but I'd like to know what happened.
>
> poc

Since you're on F9-pre, you might be interested in a current
discussion on the devel list to remove xorg.conf completely.

Note well that the devel list is "NOT A SUPPORT LIST"!

Here's a link:
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2008-April/msg02327.html

The discussion doesn't answer your question completely, but it might
be illuminating.

Recommended support resources are given at:

   -dwight-