Re: Why Restart & Shutdown Buttons on login screen

Aaron Konstam wrote, On 04/29/2008 04:24 PM:
On Wed, 2008-04-30 at 00:19 +0930, Tim wrote:
On Tue, 2008-04-29 at 08:55 -0500, Aaron Konstam wrote:
I guess I am confused. I can not find an option
in /usr/share/gdm/defaults.conf or in gdmsetup which controls the
display of restart and shutdown in the login screen. I am having
trouble finding the line that causes Face browser to show up.
You pick a theme that doesn't have them, or use the built-in plain login
greeter which lets you turn them on and off, then set the login options
to disallow changing the theme.  Or you could change the commands called
by GDM if someone picked those shutdown or reboot options (set them to a
command that does nothing).

# Reboot, Halt and suspend commands, you can add different commands separated
# by a semicolon.  GDM will use the first one it can find.
RebootCommand=/sbin/reboot;/sbin/shutdown -r now;/usr/sbin/shutdown -r now;/usr/bin/reboot
HaltCommand=/sbin/poweroff;/sbin/shutdown -h now;/usr/sbin/shutdown -h now;/usr/bin/poweroff

# Enable the Face browser.  Note that the Browser key is only used by the
# standard login (gdmlogin) program. The Face Browser is enabled in # the Graphical greeter by selecting a theme that includes the Face
# Browser, such as happygnome-list.  The other configuration values that
# affect the Face Browser (MinimalUID, DefaultFace, Include, Exclude,
# IncludeAll, GlobalFaceDir) are used by both the Standard and Themed
# greeter.
Browser=false

# The Actions menu (formerly system menu) is shown in the greeter, this is the
# menu that contains reboot, shutdown, suspend, config and chooser.  None of
# these is available if this is off.  They can be turned off individually
# however.
#SystemMenu=true
The above discussion is interesting except in
my /usr/share/gdm/defaults.conf file:
Browser=false - yet I have face logins
and
#SystemMenu=true
still I can shutdown from the login menu.

I think you want
Browser=false
and
SystemMenu=false
Notice the lack of '#' in front.

Also note that gdm may need restarted to make it take effect.
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-list/2007-December/msg01819.html
And are you sure the file should be /usr/share/gdm/defaults.conf instead of /etc/gdm/custom.conf???

Usually confs that are used are in /etc

--
Todd Denniston