Re: fedora 8 - i386 or live cd

Mike Evans wrote:
> Grub is lovely, you'll get to like it. I've been a convert since Fedora
> Core 2.  That's not to say you shouldn't have the choice of course.

seems like i have little choice now that everything is moving to udev.

> The DVD is a much fuller installation with all sorts of options of
> desktop, office programs, programming environments, web servers and
> other server type stuff.
>
> The CD is pretty much a minimal desktop and that's it.  Its advantage is
> that you can 'try before you buy' in the sense of not doing a full install.

this is pretty much of my conclusion from reading at site and on this list.

i did not say where my main concern was as i wanted to see if it might be
mentioned in any replies. dvd is i386 and cd is i686. cpu is an amd duron,
so i have i686 covered. question is, is i686 true 686 code because i have
2 586 systems in my network.

> There is nothing stopping you starting
> with the CD and then using yum or the add/remove software GUI to get
> everything else - assuming you know what you want.

if i start an install with i686 cd, can i386 dvd be used for additional,
then go online for updates?

> Bear in mind that Fedora 9 is due out so in the 6 months since release
> 8 has had a lot of updates, so whichever route you take you will need a
> good connection to update everything after your initial install.

my last successful install of fedora was fc3. grub bit my lilo butt. so,
installing f8 now will only help me getting f9 running. it will be a new
install as i have never had a clean update to later releases. besides,
nothing wrong with a little practice on installing.

i am on att/bellsouth dsl lite, which is supposed to be 176k dl, but with
firewall under m8k0, i am getting about half that speed. tweaking will be
done later once i get fedora up.

thank you for your reply.

- --

tc,hago.