Re: fedora 8 - i386 or live cd

after fighting problems of installing fedora using lilo, i now concede to
using grub.

Grub is lovely, you'll get to like it. I've been a convert since Fedora Core 2. That's not to say you shouldn't have the choice of course.

what are pros and cons for installing fedora 8, use i386 dvd or live cd?

The DVD is a much fuller installation with all sorts of options of desktop, office programs, programming environments, web servers and other server type stuff.

The CD is pretty much a minimal desktop and that's it. Its advantage is that you can 'try before you buy' in the sense of not doing a full install.

I installed my desktop PC and all-round house server from the DVD from the cover of a magazine and my laptop from a CD image I downloaded and burned a month or so earlier. There is nothing stopping you starting with the CD and then using yum or the add/remove software GUI to get everything else - assuming you know what you want. Bear in mind that Fedora 9 is due out so in the 6 months since release 8 has had a lot of updates, so whichever route you take you will need a good connection to update everything after your initial install.

Mike E