flatbed scanner?

The last time I got a new scanner I spent about a week
correlating the lists of scanners actually available for
purchase with the list of supported devices on the sane
web pages (99.999% of which are models that are out of
production :-).

Has anyone recently purchased a flatbed scanner with good
linux support? (I mostly want it for documents and such,
not photo or negative scanning).

The Canoscan LIDE 60 I wound up with at the end of the first
painful search has apparently died the real death. It doesn't
show up as a USB device at all. If it had a fuse, I'd say
it had blown it :-). Naturally they are up to LIDE 90 now
(60 no longer made), and the 90 isn't supported in sane.